What is it really?
How and do i have to use it in my work?
-Cant recycle my old work unless its being shown in a completly new way
-Can poems/music be used as appropriation? What if the music exists as sheet music?
Im tempted to do a sound piece, as sound, sets an atmosphere ( for eg in movies) that imagery cannot do on its own or as successfully. Also imagery is wrapped in its own connotations, and each peron reading of an image is different. This i found out in past projects which were mainly photographs. Upon feedback, i found they weren't read as i would've hoped.
Using sound will also enable me to experiment in an area i havent really looked much into. Past video installations i have made have mostly been silent
This module has to link in with what i am doing in my studio work.
I am interested in different states of mentality and physicality; such as where do things exist and barriers between fantasy and reality.
I started this by first looking at hallucinagenic plants and their effects on the mental state. From researching into how some of these plants work, i became interested with bioluminscent life forms.
This lead into looking at some of the folklore around biolumicsent lifeforms.
Currently i am looking at so called "Will o' the wisps" or orbs. I have found they make alot of apperances in literature, and modern culture.
- Book IX of John Miltons Paradise Lost
- Samuel Coleridge's poem The Rime of teh Ancient Mariner
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's fairy tale The Green snake and the beautiful Lily
- "Mother Carey"s poem "Will O' the wisp"
- Bram Stokers Dracula
- JRR Tolkiens Lord of the rings
- Holly Blackand Tony DiTerlizzi's The spiderwick Chronicles
- Michael Ende's Neverending Story
- Franz liszts "the transcendental etude No5 aka Feux Follet
- In Manuel de Fallas ballet el amor brujo called Cancion del fuego fatuo
- was referred to in the song Maria in the sound of music
- Appeared in aretha Franklins "skylark"
They also appear in programmes such as Most haunted and on cctv footage people have captured and uploaded to youtube.
I want to investigate the history, credabilty and lore behind these phenomenom
How can i do thisin sound?